Thursday, October 2, 2014


In my eyes, being a librarian is like being a teacher.  I'm not someone who simply checks books in and out; I do a lot more.  I recommend my favorite books and series to kids, teens, and adults and I show people where and how to find books.  I teach skills that I have required through school to patrons in my programs or during the hours I’m at my desk. I help kids with homework, projects, and (my favorite) English papers.  Sometimes I consider myself a free tutor.   I always want to do more and be more as a librarian. I want people of all ages to be able to walk through the door and find the help that they need for whatever is they are looking for.  I want them to walk out of here knowing that they are welcomed back anytime.  Just under a year ago, a woman in her 50s came to the library to fill out an online application and resume for a nursing position she was applying for.  The resume and the application were pages and pages long, and with little background knowledge on computers, she was completely lost as to how to even bring up the application from her email.  For an hour and a half I sat with her to help her fill it out.  She was so thankful and appreciative that she told our Assistant Director what wonderful librarians we are and how they couldn’t have done it without us.  This is the type of thing that makes me feel like I’m making a difference as a librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment