Thursday, September 25, 2014

Why Teach?

Recently, we've been asked to answer the question "Why Teach?"  This question can be answered in a number of ways.  Through our class readings, I've come across answers such as, "I've wanted to teach since I was a little kid," "Teaching has always been in my family, so I want to teach, too," and "I'm always working with kids, so I know I could relate to them as a teacher."  Let's be honest, teachers don't decide to teach for the money.  From what I've already known and what I've learned through the article, "Are you sick of highly-paid teachers?," teachers today make less than a third of what they should.  So, why teach? Although I've decided not to teach, there are plenty of reasons why the idea of teaching someday sits in the back of my mind.  For me, there is no better feeling in the world than to see a child look up at me and tell me with excitement that they understand something that I've taught them.  Although situations like this one haven't happened in the classroom, but in my own personal life, the feeling is still exactly the same.

While researching this question, I came across this picture of a quotation.  Brad Henry writes, "A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning."  In one sentence, Brad summarizes the best parts of teaching.  As educators, we want to inspire students to be creative, to find an interest in learning, and to succeed in whatever they do in their lives.  Knowing that I could be the reason why a child walks into a classroom excited to learn is a feeling that I believe makes teachers so special.  It sets them apart from any other professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment